Friday, September 4, 2009

This ain't a game

Sometime late afternoon yesterday I missed a call from an old friend, someone whom has never once me called in the past. After redialling my number again I picked up with a cigarette consuming my other grasp. I will admit, hearing his voice brought back uncomfortable memories of substance abuse and inner-confliction, but then he managed to construe his words in such a way that it seemed as if I had just met this friend. He proceeded to compliment me without any sexual or objectifying undertones, and then told me that he had faith in me. I've never been overly religious nor spiritual but to hear that someone genuinely believed in me honestly took my breath away. The words may be simple, yes that is true, but in a day and age where faith seems lost. Not just the generalised religious kind, but the hope that everything will turn for the better and to withold faith in yourself is a powerful thing. Never after hanging up on a phone call have I felt so structured yet speechless.