Sunday, August 9, 2009

When the rain falls..


Once the rain begins to descend upon the pavement, the streets are then littered with the common business man or woman with an umbrella.. After spending another casual Sunday afternoon listening to my ipod on shuffle, I came across two songs on my mp3 player, whose lyrics depicted an umbrella and how it somehow came into holding significance in a relationship. The two songs I am referring to are "Umbrella" by Rihanna and "Forget About the Forecast" by The Arrival. Both songs basically imply for their significant other to come under their umbrella, as if it gives them some sense of security, although when used in real life context it does depict a grim sight. About two years ago, I was innocently going about my business and walking in the rain, amongst the cold city sights in hope of reaching a coffee shop of some sorts. Eventually, the sound of mugs and glasses clinking against each other became audible. Just as I was close to crossing the final zebra striped piece of pavement, a middle aged man turned and looked at me. With a self righteous smirk smeared across his face, he gained the audacity to look me straight in the eye and say "Hey baby, you look cold.. I could be your umbrella." Never have I felt so disgusted and speechless, thankfully the lights turned green and I was able to make a quick escape. I suppose the moral of this story, is that no matter how good a lyric sounds as a pick up line never use it, especially if you're a middle aged man...